Malaysia’s PM Muhyiddin defiant after king rebukes government for misleading parliament
- Sultan Abdullah expressed ‘deep disappointment’ that law minister Takiyuddin Hassan did not seek his assent to revoke the state of emergency he agreed to in January
- In response, PM Muhyiddin Yassin countered that the monarch was briefed on the government’s plans and was obliged to follow its advice

Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah, who serves as the country’s constitutional head of state, said the government had in fact not sought his assent before de facto law minister Takiyuddin Hassan on Monday declared that various emergency ordinances – set to expire on August 1 – had been nullified a week earlier.
Takiyuddin’s comments enraged opposition lawmakers, who insisted that the constitution required the revocation of the state of emergency to be voted on in parliament, along with the assent of Sultan Abdullah.
Opposition politicians said the government had sought to revoke the emergency through the back door, as a vote in parliament would show that it did not command a parliamentary majority – which in turn could compel Sultan Abdullah to order the formation of a new administration.
“The government is of the view that all actions taken were in line with the law and the Federal Constitution,” the embattled prime minister said, adding that the king was legally obliged to act according to the advice of the cabinet.