Advertisement
Aid to Gaza must resume amid UN probe into workers’ role over Hamas attack, no reason to ‘punish’ Palestinians
- The US, EU and 15 others have suspended funding for the UNRWA over allegations that 13 of its workers took part in the October 7 attack by Hamas
- Palestinians have ‘suffered unimaginable consequences’ and donors should continue to help them amid the UNRWA probe, says the head of Asia Society
Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
17

The suspension of aid by major donors to the main UN relief agency helping Gaza residents amid the Israel-Gaza war should be lifted immediately as there is no reason to “punish the rest of the Palestinians”, the new president of global non-profit group Asia Society has said.
The comments by Kang Kyung-wha, who has held key roles in the United Nations, come after the US, the European Union and at least 15 other countries suspended funding for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) after Israel alleged 13 UNRWA employees took part in the attacks that set off the war in Gaza.
Some UNRWA employees have since been fired and the UN has opened an investigation into the allegations.
Advertisement
Kang, who previously served as South Korea’s foreign minister, told This Week in Asia on Thursday: “It’s terrible that some of their [UNRWA] workers could be involved in the October 7 terrorist attack.”

While those involved in the attack should be “thoroughly investigated”, Kang highlighted that the UNRWA had saved many lives over the last two decades. War victims such as the Gazans had “already suffered unimaginable consequences” and humanitarian work should continue, she added.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x