Another wave of Greta Thunberg-inspired Global Climate Strikes for Future is set to take place this month, with events on September 20 and 27. Dubbed the “Intergenerational” strikes, the turnout is expected to be the largest yet, with organisers hoping to attract a wider demographic.
According to the FridaysForFuture, the movement’s official website, more than 3,400 strikes are set to take place in 1,580 cities in nearly 120 countries, and millions of schoolchildren and adults are expected to take part. The first global strike, held on March 15, saw an estimated 1.4 million students from more than 2,000 cities taking to the streets, while people in at least 125 countries took part in the second global strike in May.
The 16-year-old Swede announced to her 1.4 million Twitter followers that she’ll be joining the strike in New York City on the September 20 and be in Canada to to take part in a strike the following week.
She is scheduled to attend the United Nations Climate Action Summit later this month in New York.
Climate Action Hong Kong, which organised previous strikes in the city, posted an update on Facebook in July, saying they were planning a strike for September 20. “We have applied for NGO status and are currently awaiting response in order to obtain certain location permits,” the statement said.
However, due to the protests that have rocked the city since June, the organisers say the march has now been called off, citing safety concerns. In a written reply to Young Post, Zara Campion, one of the three founders of the group, said, “Given the current unrest with the protests, we have decided to not do the march or strike as it would be an inappropriate time.”
Instead, they have proposed a social media campaign.
Last year, SCMP reported that less than 1 per cent of Hong Kong’s energy is generated from renewables. So, in place of a strike, organisers are now encouraging those who still wish to be involved in the movement to write #morethan1% on their arms and post pictures on social media with the same tag.