Hong Kong voter registration closes tomorrow - do your civic duty and have your say in who runs the city

Hongkongers aged 18 and up are eligible to vote in District Council elections - if you reach adulthood in September, you can still register

Nicola Chan |

Latest Articles

Hong Kong pro-democracy activists Joshua Wong, Agnes Chow and Ivan Lam sentenced to jail

Hong Kong police arrest university student leader

Face Off: Is the “LeaveHomeSafe” app a good idea to combat the pandemic?

Covid-19 social-distancing fines to go up

New Liberal Studies classes should not cover current affairs

‘BTS law’ means K-pop stars can wait until 30 to do military service

With freedom comes responsibility. If you reached adulthood this year, or are turning 18 in the next couple of months, make sure you fulfil your civic responsibilities by signing up as an elector to exercise your right to vote next year. If you haven’t, spare a few minutes today, because the deadline for registration is tomorrow! 

Who is eligible to vote? 

If you are a Hong Kong permanent resident aged 18 or above, or will turn 18 on or before September 25, usually live in Hong Kong and hold an identity document, you can sign up as a geographical constituency elector.

Who can registers vote for?

Registered voters will be able to vote for District Councillors and Legislative Councillors (but not for officers such as the Chief Executive). 

What do you need to do to register? 

Fill in the electronic application form “Application for New Voter Registration (Geographical Constituencies)” in BLOCK LETTERS and sign it. Make sure you provide clear and accurate information, or the registration will be unsuccessful. Anyone who knowingly or recklessly provides false or incorrect statement commits an offence.

(For Adobe Acrobat Reader DC users, you may be asked to install a Font Pack to fill out the form. If that is a problem, simply print out the form and fill it out by hand.)  

The physical copy of the form can also be obtained at District Offices, management offices of public housing estates, and the Registration and Electoral Office.

The Registration and Electoral Office can be found at: 

  • 10/F, Harbour Centre, 25 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong, and 

  • 13/F, Kowloonbay International Trade & Exhibition Centre, 1 Trademart Drive, Kowloon Bay, Kowloon

How to submit your registration application form 

You can upload the scanned copy of the form to the Registration and Electoral Office Online Upload Platform, or email it to the Registration and Electoral Office. 

What’s next? 

After your application has been processed, the Registration and Electoral Office will issue a registration notice to you by post. If you have not received it 14 days after you submitted your form, you can call the Enquiry Hotline 2891 1001 to check the progress of your application. When you do receive it, congratulations: you are ready to cast your first vote in the District Council election next year!