Elderly HK couple in hospital after Mid-Autumn Festival lantern catches fire

By Kelly Ho

The pair managed to put out the fire in their Sau Mau Ping home, but were injured in the process

By Kelly Ho |

Latest Articles

Climate change leads to older trees dying, leading to more carbon dioxide in the air

Watch Marvel’s ‘Deadpool 2’ and ‘Captain America: Civil War’ on the big screen again for a limited time

“Am I next?” asks teen tennis star Coco Gauff about killings of black Americans

A couple were injured after a lantern in their flat suddenly caught fire.

A man is in critical condition and his wife is also in hospital after they were trapped in a blaze when a Mid-Autumn lantern burst into flames in their home.

The man surnamed Fung, 79, and his wife surnamed Leung, 80, lit the lantern at midnight on Monday in their flat in Hiu Wah Building, in Sau Mau Ping. At around 1am today, the lantern suddenly caught fire and fell on the floor. The quick-thinking pair used a blanket to put out the fire, but suffered burns and inhaled smoke as a result. Their neighbour called the police for help.

Firefighters confirmed that the blaze had been put out by the time they arrived at the scene. Fung was said to have hurt his fingers and breathed in smoke when he was stamping out the fire. His wife had burns on her arm and leg, and her hair was singed. Both were sent to United Christian Hospital.

15 things you didn't know about Mid-Autumn Festival

On the same night, another fire broke out in the staircase of an spectator stand of the Sha Tin Rowing Centre next to the Shing Mun River.

At around 3am, a passer-by reported the incident and the fire was put out by the fire service. No one was injured and the facility was not badly damaged, but dried wax was visible on the stairs.

A mooncake tin with burning candles was found at the scene, which is believed to have been the cause of the fire.

The history behind those riddles on Mid-Autumn Festival lanterns

The Hospital Authority said yesterday that other than the elderly couple mentioned above, there were no reports of burn cases at its emergency rooms during the Mid-Autumn Festival period (from Monday until 10am yesterday).

Elsewhere, Hongkongers went out in droves on Monday night to gaze at the moon. They didn’t have it easy, though, as it was not a clear night, and the moon was often hidden behind clouds. Many of the traditional moon-gazing venues were also closed due to the aftermath of last week’s powerful typhoon.