Hong Kong protests: What happened on 3 August in Mong Kok, Tsim Sha Tsui and Wong Tai Shin

Organisers estimated that 120,000 people took part in marches that ended in violence from both police and demonstrators

Wong Tsui-kai |

Latest Articles

Online learning to continue as Hong Kong struggles with third wave of Covid-19

Opinion: Cancelling the China and Hong Kong Fulbright programme is a short-sighted approach

HK teen creates NGO to support students with special needs

‘Folklore’ is a surprising shift for Taylor Swift that fans will love

Anti-extradition protestors set fire to objects to obstruct the road on Nathan Road, Mong Kok.

Saturday saw continued protests that led to the arrests of over 20 people, according to police, bringing the total number of arrests to more than 200 since the protest movement exploded on 9 June.

The protests spread out from a planned march in Mong Kok, when protesters deviated from the allowed route, to Tsim Sha Tsui and Wong Tai Sin.

Organisers said 120,000 people took part; police estimated there were only 4,200 participants.

Hong Kong protests: Live updates from Tseung Kwan O and Island West

Many Wong Tai Sin residents without any protective gear and wearing sandals clashed with riot police, prompting police to use tear gas.

Later in the evening, protesters in Wong Tai Sin targeted the disciplined services quarters, where off-duty officers and their families live, with reports of firecrackers being let off outside the building and objects thrown, breaking windows on the lower floors. There were also reports of glass bottles being thrown at protesters from the building.

In Tsim Sha Tsui, masked demonstrators smashed the windows of cars in a police parking lot and used a large slingshot to launch bricks at the building.

Riot Police and Wong Tai Sin residents clash.
Photo: Sam Tsang/SCMP

Others put up barricades on busy shopping thoroughfares and temporarily blockaded the Hung Hom cross-harbour tunnel for around half an hour on two separate occasions.

Small fires lit by protesters erupted around the areas of the clashes, requiring Fire Services Department intervention.

Voter registration surges due to extradition bill protests

A Chinese national flag was taken off its flagpole and thrown into Victoria Harbour in the afternoon. Former Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying has posted a one million Hong Kong dollar bounty on information that would lead to the arrest of the individual responsible.

Police denied harassing reporters, while photos and video footage showed officers using pepper bullets, pepper spray, tear gas and shining bright lights to block journalists from filming.

The protests followed a rally earlier in the day, when tens of thousands of people filled Victoria Park on Hong Kong Island to rally in support of the police.