Knife attack near Lennon Wall in Tseung Kwan O leaves three injured

By Kelly Ho and SCMP

The assault in east Kowloon took place on Tuesday morning; no arrests have been made so far

By Kelly Ho and SCMP |

Latest Articles

Beloved Hong Kong icon Brother Cream dies

Hong Kong protests: 5 teenagers arrested for possession of petrol bombs and gas masks, but demonstrations fail to materialise

A knife was found in an underground pedestrian footpath in Tseung Kwan O following an attack in the early morning hours of Tuesday.

[UPDATE; Tuesday, 4:24pm] At the daily police press conference, police say they have arrested one suspect at the Lo Wu border checkpoint in connection to the Tseung Kwan O Lennon Wall knife attack.

Three people were stabbed in a pedestrian underpass in Tseung Kwan O early on Tuesday morning, next to a Lennon Wall where protesters had left anti-government and pro-democracy messages.

The attack took place at around 1.30am on Tuesday in an underground footpath connecting King Lam Estate and Hau Tak Estate in Tseung Kwan O.

Face off: should all police in HK have guns?

Footage circulating online shows a man in a blue shirt attacking people with a knife inside the underground pedestrian footpath in Tseung Kwan O.
Photo: Facebook

A video circulating on social media shows a man in a blue shirt attacking three people with a knife in his hand, allegedly after hearing their views on the anti-government protests. According to the police, there was at least one attacker with a knife who injured two women and one man.

A witness, who claimed he was drinking with a few others near the wall at the time of the incident, said on a radio programme on Tuesday morning that a man in casual wear had approached them.

“He asked us what we thought about [the protests],” he said. “When we expressed our views, he said: ‘I can’t hold it any longer.’ Then he took out a knife from his pocket and stabbed my two friends.”

Another witness, surnamed Chan, told a local newspaper the two female victims were chatting when the assailant came up to them and joined the conversation. They talked about recent protests and political issues.

The women reportedly asked the man not to get too close because he was smoking a cigarette. Soon after, he took out a knife to attack them.

Carrie Lam fights back tears in press conference following violence at the airport

One female victim was sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, while the others were treated in Tseung Kwan O Hospital.
The police found one knife in the subway, and another in a rubbish bin in nearby Chung Ming Court. One eyewitness told local media that the attacker entered Kar Ming House in Chung Ming Court after he fled the scene.
When police reviewed security footage, they found the attacker went to the 21st floor of the building, and changed into a red shirt and shorts, and left the building shortly afterwards.
Police officers reviewed security footage to find the attacker entered Kar Ming House after the attack, changed his clothes and left the building shortly after.
Source: RTHK

A blue shirt with blood stains was found by residents in a rubbish bin on the same floor of Kar Ming House.

The case is now under police investigation. There have been no arrests so far.

In a media briefing before the Executive Council meeting on Tuesday, Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor commented on the case, saying police would follow up and take it seriously.