Hong Kong protests: Sit-in at Yuen Long MTR leads to police confrontation, as HK marks one month since violent attacks

South China Morning Post

What began as a peaceful gathering lead to a small group of demonstrators setting off fire extinguishers and barriers

South China Morning Post |

Latest Articles

GTA Tokyo x Yakuza video: Japanese YouTubers recreate open-world game scenes in real life

Coronavirus: Free voluntary Covid-19 tests for all Hongkongers announced

HK's education authorities may consider flexible testing options for secondary school placement

How to pronounce epitome and other common hard-to-say words

Viral video shows HK schoolgirl slapped and smeared with lipstick in suspected bullying incident

Protesters set off extinguishers and open fire hoses at Yuen Long MTR station.

The recent streak of peaceful protests was broken Wednesday at Yuen Long MTR station on Wednesday night, as demonstrators confronted police while marking one month since a mob rampage that left dozens injured.

While thousands of mostly masked, black-clad protesters started by holding a peaceful sit-in at the station, smaller groups were out to make trouble. Some put up barriers and hurled abuse at riot police on standby at the nearby village of Tung Tau Tsuen.

A timeline of the extradition bill protests

Police chased them back to the station, where they ran in and set off fire extinguishers in a late-night stand-off. They set up barriers using rubbish bins and fire sand buckets while police remained on the footbridge outside.

The MTR announced that trains would not stop at Yuen Long station while special trains would be arranged for those already at the station.


The chaos continued for hours, but police did not charge into the station and later left. With no one to confront, the protesters gradually dispersed by themselves.
Protesters put up posters all over the railway station and held up placards reading, “lest we forget the Yuen Long attack”, and “oppose police-triad collusion”, a reference to allegations that officers deliberately turned a blind eye to the violence on the night of July 21 because they were supposedly working with the triads.

Protesters at a sit-in protest at Yuen Long MTR Station, one month after an armed mob attack indiscriminately on protesters and passengers at the station on July 21.
Photo: SCMP/ Sam Tsang

The protesters filled almost the entire station concourse and spilled out into the connecting shopping centre.

While some protesters chanted anti-police and revolutionary slogans on Wednesday night, others reminded them that it was meant to be a silent protest.

At around 8pm, protesters stood silently, each covering his or her right eye to express their anger over a severe eye injury suffered by a young woman at a protest outside Tsim Sha Tsui Police Station on August 11. Protesters say she was hit by a police beanbag round, but the force is not taking the blame pending an investigation.

Carrie Lam says she's ready for dialogue to end the city's political crisis

Yuen Long resident Benjamin Tsang, a 21-year old university student, accused police of selectively enforcing the law.

“I am disappointed. No prosecution has been made against the mob over the past month while nearly 50 protesters in Sheung Wan were charged with rioting within hours,” he said, referring to clashes on July 28.