Pro-democracy lawmaker Roy Kwong Chun-yu attacked in Tin Shui Wai

Three men ambushed the legislator and filmed the whole attack, fleeing the scene shortly after

Kelly Ho |

Latest Articles

Like David Attenborough, Izzy Bee’s Netflix show focuses on the importance of conservation

Best scary TV shows to watch this Halloween

Lawmaker Roy Kwong Chun-yu speaks during a protest against the extradition bill on the 22nd anniversary of Hong Kong's handover from Britain to China.


Around 3pm this afternoon, Kwong met the media and gave a more detailed account of the attack outside Tin Shui Wai Hospital. He said he was on his way to work this morning when three masked men came at him before he got into his car, with a fourth person filming the attack.

Kwong noted that he is still in pain, but it did not appear that he had sustained serious injuries.

Kwong said as a lawmaker for people in Hong Kong, it is his duty to protect the citizens. He said if he was attacked because he was performing such duty, the attack should be considered an "international scandal".

Hong Kong pro-democracy legislator Roy Kwong Chun-yu was attacked in Tin Shui Wai on Tuesday morning and sent to Tin Shui Wai Hospital for treatment.

The attack took place at around 10am on Tuesday. Kwong was ambushed by three masked men as he was making his way to the car park near the Hong Kong Wetland Park.

According to Democratic Party lawmakers James To Kun-sun and Lam Cheuk-ting, who spoke to Kwong on the phone after the attack, Kwong was punched and kicked by the attackers, causing injuries to his arms, legs and neck. One of the attackers filmed the attack, and all three fled the scene shortly after.

To said it was unusual that the perpetrators recorded the assault, and said he suspected that it was a planned and paid attack. Both To and Lam believe the purpose of the attack was to threaten pan-democrats and pro-democracy activists, as well as organisers and protesters of the anti-extradition law movement.

Two 13-year-olds released on bail after being arested by the Hong Kong police

Kwong is waiting for further check-ups at Tin Shui Wai Hospital to determine the seriousness of his injuries. He reported the case to the police and gave a statement in the hospital.

Kwong's colleagues urged the police and government to handle the case seriously and called for anyone with information about the attack to speak to the Democratic Party.

“The timing [of the attack] is quite sensitive, because the whole world is watching whether the government will approve the very big and peaceful demonstration [planned for] National Day,” said To.

“Beating up one of the most popular legislators in Hong Kong sends quite an alarming signal that the city is no longer a place with rule of law,” said To.