Hong Kong protests: Secondary student shot during National Day demonstrations in critical condition

At least four other shots were fired as anti-government rallies held across city on 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic

Kelly Ho |

Latest Articles

Gaming, not mindfulness, may be the answer to Covid fatigue

Carrie Lam's policy address: Covid-19, NSL and climate change goals

Bruce Lee 80th anniversary stamps to be released in HK

Scotland becomes first country to make period products free

Student shot in Tsuen Wan earlier today is in critical condition and receiving treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital.

For continuing updates, go to the SCMP live blog.

[UPDATED: Tuesday, October 1 - 7.24pm]

A form five student was shot in his chest by a police officer today, as trouble spilled across Hong Kong on the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic.

Police confirmed that the teen was shot on in Tsuen Wan, that there was blood in his chest and he was sent to hospital for treatment. The latest reports say the bullet is still in his body and he is in critical condition. Three teachers and at least six teenage classmates of the protester shot in the chest earlier are anxiously waiting at Princess Margaret Hospital for word of his condition.

In addition to that shooting, at least four other shots were fired on Tuesday. Two of them were fired skywards on Sha Tsui Road in Tsuen Wan, while the other two were fired at the junction of Waterloo Road and Nathan Road in Yau Ma Tei, after police vehicles were attacked by protesters.

Hong Kong protests: Anti-government anthem Glory to Hong Kong removed from Spotify and Apple Music

Rallies and marches were held across the city as anti-government protesters aimed to ruin National Day celebrations in Beijing. The celebration was in honour of the Communist Party's 70th anniversary.

Major clashes flared up in numerous districts across the city. Protesters set motor vehicles on fire in Wong Tai Sin, hurled petrol bombs at police, and burned the national flag. Police posted on their Twitter account that some officers and journalists had been injured by corrosive fluid that had been thrown by protesters.

The police used tear gas rounds, sponge grenades, and rubber bullets in many of the areas, and a water cannon was deployed in Admiralty. A man in Wong Tai Sin was hit in the left eye by a projectile. He was tended to by first aid personnel.

A massive “national grief” march began moving from East Point Road in Causeway Bay to Chater Road in Central from 1pm, despite being unauthorised. The crowd was led by former pro-democracy legislators Lee Cheuk-yan, Albert Ho Chun-yan, and Leung Kwok-hung, and Civil Human Rights Front’s deputy convenor Figo Chan Ho-wun.

Earlier in the day, community leaders, political elites, and officials gathered at the Convention and Exhibition Centre in Wan Chai to observe a flag-raising ceremony. Other than a few skirmishes outside, the event passed peacefully. Many shops and malls around the city closed for the day ahead of the protests and, at the time of going to print,

28 MTR stations had closed.

Staff writer, additional reporting by Kelly Ho