Condition of HKUST student injured in car park fall worsens, but doctors have yet to confirm brain death

South China Morning Post

The police have yet to determine the cause of his fall, but are seeking additional security footage that may help

South China Morning Post |

Latest Articles

Blind Malaysian student at Cambridge University on why she studies law

Flower bouquets, paper cranes and Post-it messages from people wishing Chow Tsz-lok a speedy recovery were placed in the lobby outside the intensive care unit of Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Thursday.

The condition of a Hong Kong university student who was left on life support after falling four metres (13 feet) in a car park on Monday has deteriorated, but doctors have yet to conduct a test to confirm whether brain death has taken place, medical sources have said.

Police on Thursday said they would seek security footage from nearby buildings after a review of more than 30 cameras at the car park failed to establish the cause of Chow Tsz-lok’s fall.

Chow, a 22-year-old student of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), remained in a critical condition at Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Thursday. He was reported to have fallen from the third floor to the second floor of a car park in Tseung Kwan O during the small hours on Monday.

Friends recall Chow Tsz-lok as a quiet and helpful introvert

A medical source said the pressure inside his skull had built up to five times the normal level, a life-threatening condition.

“It could mean the brain would be cut off from blood supply because the pressure prevents blood from going in,” the source said.

Another source confirmed that a brain death test was not conducted on Thursday.

In a graduation ceremony on Thursday, HKUST president Professor Wei Shyy made an emotional remark when addressing the new batch of graduates.

Wei Shyy, President of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, called for support of Chow during the graduation ceremony on Thursday.
Photo: SCMP / Dickson Lee

“One of ours is in hospital. Let’s join his parents and all family members in supporting him,” he said. “This is a very, very important message I hope we all can send to his family, that we are together with them. We look forward to seeing him again.”

On Thursday, people from all walks of life continued to show their support for Chow outside the hospital’s intensive care unit, where he has been undergoing treatment.

Flower bouquets, paper cranes and Post-it messages from people, including those who did not know Chow personally, were placed in the lobby outside the unit.

Secondary students hold sit-ins on one-month anniversary of mask ban

Anthony, who used to play netball with Chow in the HKUST team, described him as a young man full of team spirit.

“He was nice to friends, and was willing to help others,” he said.

Many strangers also offered prayers for Chow, including Cheung Ka-yee, a waitress who brought a flower bouquet for him.

“I hope he can wake up soon and be back to the sides of his family and friends,” she said.