Ahead of the New Year’s Day march which has been approved by the police, the Civil Human Rights Front cleared up speculation over a poster that called for protesters to take part in acts of vandalism across the city today.
According to local media, the fake poster was first circulated among pro-government supporters on social media, before it caught the police’s attention and asked the Front to make a clarification.
Similar to the design of the Front’s original poster, the fake one contains the date, time and route of the march to be held today. But the centre graphic was replaced by a vulgar hand gesture and the theme of the march had been amended from “Never forget our pledge, we walk side by side” to “Never forget to take revenge, vandalise across the city”.
The Front issued a statement on Facebook on Monday to say that the poster was fake and the amendments contradicted their intention of organising the march. They said the Front’s vice-convenor Figo Chan Ho-wun was pressured by the police to make a clarification; otherwise the Front could be suspected of inciting protesters to take part in vandalism.
The Front said the police should have investigated the source of the fake poster, rather than asking the organiser to clear up speculation.
During police’s press conference on Monday, they “thanked” the Front twice for clarifying, and said they “welcome the Front to cut ties with violence”. The Front responded to the comment in their statement, saying they were “bewildered”. They emphasised they were only cutting ties with the forged poster, and they would continue to distance themselves from what they see as police brutality.