UPDATED: 10-year-old Hong Kong primary school student suspected of HK$5 million jewellery theft may have been abused

South China Morning Post

Bruises were found on the girl while in police custody and she was admitted to hospital for checks last night

South China Morning Post |

Latest Articles

Tiananmen Square museum highlights the similarities between the crackdown, Hong Kong protests

Sky Brown, 11-year-old Olympic skate hopeful, in hospital after fall

Teen Black Lives Matter activists embrace TikTok

The alleged theft happened at a public housing flat in Wong Tai Sin.

[UPDATE – Thursday, May 3, 12.20pm] Social workers have found that the 10-year-old girl, suspected of being involved in the stolen jewellery case, had bruising on her arms and legs. Police investigations suggest that in April this year, “family issues” may have led the girl’s father to attack her with a coat hanger.

Social workers referred the case to the police, and the girl was admitted to hospital for checks last night. The 10-year-old’s case has been temporarily labeled as “ill-treatment or neglect by those in charge of child or young person”, and is being followed up by division two of the Wong Tai Sin Regional Crime Unit.

The 10-year-old girl and a 12-year-old girl were both arrested on Tuesday, and kept in police custody in relation to the stolen jewellery case. They have both been released on bail, but must report back to the police at the end of May. Following further investigation, a third girl, also aged 12, was granted an unconditional release. She was initially released on bail in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

[Wednesday, May 2, 2018]

Three primary school girls were arrested in connection with the alleged theft of HK$5 million worth of jewellery, police confirmed on Wednesday morning.

The victim, a 39-year-old woman who lives with one of the girls, 10, and her father at a public housing flat in Wong Tai Sin, realised two diamond necklaces and a diamond bracelet had disappeared from her handbag some time in the past month, according to a police source.

The woman, who works at an investment bank, called police at about 11pm on Monday. 

Officers detained the girl on Tuesday, believing she was involved in the theft. She told investigators she had dumped the jewellery nearby. Officers searched the area, but to no avail.

The girl had lived alone with her divorced father, a hairstylist, until the woman moved into the flat in Lung Moon House in Lower Wong Tai Sin Estate in January. The girl was said to have taken a dislike to the woman, and they often clashed.

Later the same day, officers also detained the girl’s 12-year-old schoolmate, to whom the girl said she had handed the jewellery. The older girl denied the allegation.

A search of the second girl’s home found nothing.

As of Tuesday night, police were still looking for the valuables. 

In the early hours of Wednesday, police said a third girl, 12, had been taken into custody in connection with the case.

The first 12-year-old was released on bail and is required to report back to police later this month.