Coronavirus: Hong Kong-Singapore travel bubble put on hold as fourth wave begins

Published: 
  • A surge in untraceable Covid-19 cases pushed the government to postpone the scheme
  • The plan would mean travellers from each city would not need to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival
AgenciesSCMP |
Published: 
Comment

Latest Articles

Top 10: What do you wish your parents had told you when you were younger?

Cyberbullying cases in Hong Kong have doubled over the last four years

Beijing insists on ‘right political tone’ for livestreamers

We’re not there yet ... Photo: AFP)

The quarantine-free air travel bubble arrangement between Hong Kong and Singapore was put on hold for two weeks, both governments announced on Saturday. The scheme had been due to launch on Sunday.

The decision came after a surge in untraceable Covid-19 cases, in what is being seen as the city’s fourth wave of coronavirus.

Commerce minister Edward Yau Tang-wah was non-committal about establishing a new launch date, which would depend on the infection picture improving.

Singapore transport minister Ong Ye Kung said on Facebook “We will review within two weeks the new launch date and update again.

“This is a sober reminder that the Covid-19 virus is still with us.”

Sign up for the YP Teachers Newsletter
Get updates for teachers sent directly to your inbox
By registering, you agree to our T&C and Privacy Policy
Comment