Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam will not seek a second term

Published: 
  • Lam told her cabinet colleagues about her decision in an early morning meeting and has already informed Beijing
  • Sources previously said Chief Secretary John Lee will run for the city’s highest office
SCMP |
Published: 
Comment

Latest Articles

Hongkongers’ happiness at decade low thanks to Covid trauma

4 Hong Kong universities fall in Times Higher Education global ranking

Taylor Swift’s Eras tour concert film gets worldwide release

Hong Kong toddler in hospital after accidentally consuming suspected meth

Rosaryhill School sponsor proposes ‘sending secondary students to another aided institution’

SOTY 22/23: Visual Artist second place winner finds inspiration in Hong Kong, family harmony

Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor held a press conference to announce she will not be seeking re-election at the Central Government Offices in Tamar. Photo: Robert Ng

Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor announced that she will not be seeking a second term on Monday, after first revealing the decision to her de facto cabinet in an early morning meeting.

Lam announced the decision at her daily Covid-19 press conference while thanking her team and her family for their support.

Two sources close to the government said Lam had already informed Beijing of her intentions.

Migration from Hong Kong to Canada soars to levels unseen since 1998

The sources said the city leader met members of the Executive Council, her de facto cabinet, on Monday morning.

“She told them she would not run in the forthcoming chief executive race,” one source said.

The announcement ended months of speculation over Lam’s intentions, leaving No 2 government official John Lee Ka-chiu, who sources said earlier was putting together a bid for the top job, as the clear front runner.

Sign up for the YP Teachers Newsletter
Get updates for teachers sent directly to your inbox
By registering, you agree to our T&C and Privacy Policy
Comment