- Practise your English with our short listening exercises: play the audio linked below; answer the questions; and check the answers at the bottom of the page
- In this week’s podcast, Jenny is going to have her tonsils removed, and a nurse is checking on her just before the operation
Click here for the audio file.
Play a Kahoot! game about this story as a class or with your friends by clicking on the link here.
Or play on your own below to test your understanding:
1. Where did this conversation most likely take place?
A. in a pharmacy
B. at the dentist
C. at school
D. in a hospital
2. If someone’s “pretty chilled”, they are NOT feeling …
3. What was Jenny’s reaction when she was told she needed to have her tonsils removed?
A. She was worried.
B. She panicked.
C. She passed out.
D. She felt relieved.
4. Why is Jenny eager to get the operation over and done with?
A. She wants to be able to walk again.
B. She is tired of always having a sore throat.
C. She is looking forward to having perfect eyesight.
D. She wants to have a straight set of teeth.
5. Which word can replace “fed up” in the audio?
6. What is Patrick So’s mobile number?
A. 8295 6601
B. 9673 7062
C. 5507 6638
D. information not given
7. When was Jenny’s last meal?
A. two hours ago
B. a few minutes earlier
C. the night before
D. 45 minutes ago
8. What medication is Jenny taking at the moment?
A. medicine for heart disease
B. pills for hay fever
C. the occasional medicine for a headache
9. When was the last time Jenny had an anaesthetic?
A. when she had her appendix removed
B. when she had stitches on her arm
C. when she had her wisdom tooth removed
D. when she had a knee replacement surgery
10. What reaction did Jenny have after her most recent anaesthetic?
A. a really bad sore throat
B. a slight headache
C. a feeling of wanting to vomit
D. a feeling of dizziness
11. If you “presume” something, you …
A. suppose it is true based on probability even if you do not have actual proof.
B. say that something will happen in the future.
C. form an idea of how much it costs, but without calculating it exactly.
D. suggest a way of explaining how something works.
12. When can Jenny expect to be discharged?
A. the same evening
B. two days later
C. the next day
D. a week after
13. Who will be visiting Jenny in the ward?
A. her teachers
B. her classmates
C. her friends
D. her family
14. Is Jenny allowed to use her mobile phone in the hospital?
A. Yes, because the nurse has given permission.
B. Yes, because she needs to call her parents.
C. No, because she has not asked the nurse for permission.
D. No, because it interferes with the hospital equipment.
15. Which of the following best describes how Jenny feels at the end of the conversation?