***Update: Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, the summer cadet programme will be run online. Shortlisted candidates will receive a confirmation email this week.
The Young Post cadet programme lets Hong Kong secondary students who are interested in journalism get a taste of what it’s like to be a real reporter. You will develop skills such as how to conduct interviews, report from live events, write different types of articles, make videos and take on the challenges of working in a modern media organisation.
Cadetships are two-week full-time Monday to Friday work experience placements in our newsroom at Times Square. During your stay at YP, you will participate in staff editorial meetings, pitch your ideas, shadow our professional reporters and create your own content.
We offer an equal opportunity environment for students from both local schools and international schools. If you are interested in working for a teen-focused newspaper and meet the following criteria, please apply by emailing your CV to [email protected].
We're looking for students who are:
- interested in writing, photography, videography and or podcasting
- keen to learn about writing for a news org and keep tabs on social issues
- may be thinking of working in journalism (reporting, photography, videography, research, conducting interviews and writing)
- have an interest in content creation on social media platforms
- available for at least two consecutive weeks (Saturdays and Sundays are not included)
- SCMP Young Post readers; who have a basic understanding of our content
If you have video editing experience, you'll be a shoo in. Also, if you know what a "shoo in" is...
All YP cadets will be able to create content with us and have the chance to have their work published in our paper and on our website.
Please drop us a line if you have any questions regarding our cadet programme via email or at 2680 8921.
SCMP Young Post accepts applications for cadetship during Easter, Christmas, Chinese New Year as well as summer holiday, and for school work experiences by special arrangement.
Our next round of the cadet programme will run in two-week cycles, from Jul 2020 - Aug 2020.
Deadline for applications: Friday, May 1, 2020