PCCW wins ID card contract

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 27 February, 2002, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 27 February, 2002, 12:00am

Hong Kong's first batch of smart identity cards capable of storing detailed information will be issued from July next year, with each one costing at least $35 to produce, the Government said on Tuesday.


A seven-company international consortium led by Pacific Century CyberWorks Business e-solutions won the $163 million contract to provide the hardware and software and supply the 1.2 million blank smart cards.


Immigration Department Deputy Director Eric Wong Tat-po said the winning tender was 'the best deal'.


Because of fears over data privacy and security, a new scheme to grade bidders had placed more emphasis on quality than price, Mr Wong said.


The consortium also includes Trub Switzerland; Cogent Systems of the US; Keycorp Limited, Australia; Mondex International, Britain; Singapore-based ACI Worldwide and Hong Kong's SecureNet Asia Limited.


Principal immigration officer Raymond Wong Wai-man said systems proposed by four short-listed consortiums had been demonstrated.


Eleven consortiums bid for the project with the lowest price below $10 million and the highest at $770 million.


The new cards will replace all 6.8 million ID cards by March 2007.


They also will serve as library cards and driving licences.


[email protected]