Oscars 2015 quiz: will you be a winner or loser when it comes to this year’s Academy Awards?
It's Oscars time again, and ahead of the 87th Annual Academy Awards ceremony, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris on Monday morning (Hong Kong time) we present 87 questions to test your Oscars knowledge – one for each year of its history.
Subjects include this year’s nominees, both past and present movie stars and famous quotes from films.
With a total of 129 points at stake, will you win a gong, or end up empty handed?
Sure-fire Oscar winner: 110 or more
Nail-bitingly close to a win: 95-109
Strong hopes of a nomination: 80-94
Solid performer: 70-79
Bit parts only: 60-69
Mostly “resting” for you: 36-59
Failed your screen test: 21-35
Not even a screen test: below 20
1) Clint Eastwood’s best picture nomination for American Sniper, starring Bradley Cooper, is his 11th, including two for best actor; he has twice won the double of best director and best picture, but for which two films?
2) Zach Galifianakis, co star of Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), appeared with best actor nominee Cooper in which trio of hit boozy comedies?
3) Richard Linklater, also nominated for Boyhood as its director and original screenplay writer, received two best-adapted screenplay nominations before for the films, Before Sunset and Before Midnight – both starring Julie Delpy and which actor?
4) The Grand Budapest Hotel’s producer, Scott Rudin, won the Oscar for best film for No Country for Old Men, starring which Spanish actor, who claimed the best actor award for his role as a fearsome killer?
5) The Imitation Game, stars Benedict Cumberbatch and also Keira Knightley, who played literary heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, in which hit film?
6) Oprah Winfrey, one of the producers of Selma, was nominated as best supporting actress for which film? But can you claim a bonus point for naming the film’s director?
7) The Theory of Everything, features co-star David Thewlis, who played Professor Lupin, the teacher at a school for highly gifted students in which series of films?
8) Miles Teller, who stars as the budding drummer in Whiplash, also appeared in Divergent alongside Kate Winslet, who won Leonardo Dicaprio’s heart in which film?
9) Steve Carell first played supervillain Gru, who is transformed when he takes in three orphans, in which hit cartoon?
10) Bradley Cooper, provided the voice of Rocket the raccoon, an intergalactic criminal who helps save the universe in which hit Marvel action adventure?
11) Name the evil dragon voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch in The Hobbit films by Oscar-winner Peter Jackson?.
12) Michael Keaton, who looks to be the home favourite for the award, starred in Batman opposite which three-time Oscar-winning actor as The Joker?
13) Name the two actors – one a star of the X-Men series and the other the winner of the best actor for playing a gladiator – who appeared with Eddie Redmayne in Les Misérables?
14) Marion Cotillard won the best actress award for playing the legendary French singer Edith Piaf in which film?
15) Felicity Jones co-starred in The Invisible Woman, a film directed and starring the actor who was Oscar nominated for his role in The English Patient. Can you name the actor?
16) Julianne Moore, the star of Still Alice – and favourite to win the Oscar – took over the role of an FBI agent from which Oscar-winning actress?
17) One of the eye-catching early roles of Rosamund Pike, nominated for Gone Girl, was in which James Bond film, with which actor playing the role of the secret agent?
18) Reese Witherspoon, is another best actress award winner, who won an Oscar for playing June Carter, real-life singer and wife of US country singer Johnny Cash, in which film?
19) Robert Duvall, said “I love the smell of napalm in the morning” in which film?
20) Ethan Hawke, was nominated before as best supporting actor for Training Day, the film that saw which star playing a rogue policeman claim the best actor award?
21) Edward Norton co-starred with which actor in Fight Club?
22) Mark Ruffalo has, like Norton, played the Hulk, but his appearance came as one of a team of superheroes in which hit ensemble film?
23) J.K. Simmons, played the newspaper boss of Peter Parker in the three Spider-Man films directed by Sam Raimi. But who played the lead role?
24) Patricia Arquette, tipped by many to claim this award, first came to prominence opposite Christian Slater in which Quentin Tarantino-scripted film?
25) Laura Dern and Sam Neill played scientists pursued by dinosaurs in which film?
26) Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley played lovers in which hit series of films?
27) Emma Stone first played the romantic interest of Andrew Garfield in which film?
28) Meryl Streep has been nominated 19 times and won three times, most recently for best actress as a politician in which film?
29) Alejandro G Inarritu’s previously Oscar-nominated film, Babel, co-starred Cate Blanchett, who won the best actress award at last year’s ceremony for which Woody Allen film?
30) Richard Linklater directed Jack Black as a wannabee rock star-turned-music teacher in which hit film?
31) Bennett Miller directed the late Philip Seymour Hoffman, as a real-life writer researching a book about the brutal murder of a family in which film?
32) Wes Anderson directed George Clooney and Meryl Streep playing a married couple in which animated adaptation of a Roald Dahl novel?
33) Morten Tyldum’s leading man, Benedict Cumberbatch, co-starred in last year’s best film winner. What was the film?
34) The Japanese film director and animator, whose internationally renowned work includes Princess Mononoke, the Oscar-winning anime Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and his final film, last year’s Oscar-nominated The Wind Rises, has been awarded an honorary Oscar as part of the 87th Academy Awards. Can you name him?
35) Another recipient, is a feisty Irish-born actress, now aged 94, who worked with actors including Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power, Henry Fonda, Errol Flynn and John Wayne, in her favourite film, The Quiet Man. Can you name her?
This year’s Oscar ceremony will continue the tradition of paying tribute to a number of film stars and directors who have died since last year’s awards.
36) Director Mike Nichols, who died last year, aged 83, won the best director for a film that made a star of Dustin Hoffman. Name the film and, for a bonus point, Hoffman’s co-star who seduced him in the film?
37) James Garner, who died last year, played the title role in the long-running US TV series, Maverick, and then co-starred in the 1994 film version, with which Oscar-winner taking on the title role?
38) Garner’s co-star in the classic war film, The Great Escape, Richard Attenborough, who also died last year, went on to win the double of best film and best director for which 1983 film?
39) British character actor Bob Hoskins, who died last year, became a Hollywood star playing a detective opposite Kathleen Turner's cartoon character in which film?
40) Only last weekend, the French actor Louis Jourdan died aged 93. He scored his biggest success in the film, Gigi, opposite which French actress?.
41) Jourdan played a James Bond baddie – in Octopussy – like 2.18-metre-tall actor Richard Kiel, who also died last year. Kiel made such an impression as Jaws, that he played the role twice. But can you name the two films?
42) Lauren Bacall, who died last August, aged 89, and won an honorary Oscar in 2010, starred alongside her husband, Humphrey Bogart – playing tough detective Philip Marlowe – in which film?
43) That film also starred Martha Vickers, the third of eight wives of honorary Oscar-winner Mickey Rooney, who died last year, aged 93. Rooney, Hollywood’s top box-office star of 1939, ‘40 and ‘41, appeared in last year’s Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, starring which actor?
44) Another of the co-stars from that film, comic actor Robin Williams, died last August. Nominated for an Oscar four times, he won the best supporting actor award for which film?
45) Glamorous Swedish actress Anita Ekberg, who died aged 83 last month, hit the big time in an iconic role opposite Italian heart-throb Marcello Mastroianni, which saw her stand in Rome’s Trevi fountain in which 1960 film?
46) Eli Wallach, who died last year aged 98, played the leader of a gang of Mexican bandits opposed by small group of gunfighters, including Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and Yul Brynner in which film?
47) Dustin Hoffman starred with Oscar-winning director Robert Redford as two journalists on the trail of a real-life conspiracy in which film?
48) Redford starred in two hit films with his great friend Paul Newman. One was Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but name the other one?
49) Newman played a gangster with a good-for-nothing-son played by James Bond star Daniel Craig in which film?
50) Craig and the film’s director, Sam Mendes, teamed up again for which film co-starring Oscar winner Judi Dench?
51) Robert Mitchum starred as a psychopath in the acclaimed 1955 thriller, The Night of the Hunter - the only film directed by which Oscar-winning actor?
52) Mendes won the best director Oscar for which film starring Kevin Spacey?
53) Tom Hanks, another actor to have worked with Mendes, won the first of his two Oscars for which film?
54) Last year’s best actor winner, Matthew McConaughey, stars in the Oscar-nominated Interstellar. Can you name the director, who is better known for his work on The Dark Knight?
55) Name the Australian actor who won a posthumous best supporting actor award for his role as the Joker in The Dark Knight?
56) Name his male co-star in Brokeback Mountain?
57) Actress Anne Hathaway, who co-starred in both Brokeback Mountain and Interstellar, won the best supporting actress for which French-set musical drama?
58) Hathaway co-starred with Oscar-nominated Steve Carell in which 2008 spoof spy film?
59) Name Carell’s hunky Foxcatcher co-star, who appeared in the film Magic Mike, in 2012, based on his real-life experiences as a male stripper?
60) Name the female star of the Star Trek reboot, who also appears in green make-up in the Oscar-nominated sci-fi action film, Guardians of the Galaxy?
61) Name the actress and the film in which she made her Hollywood debut as a runaway princess, opposite Gregory Peck, for which she won the best actress award?
62) Name the actress who won a best actress award, also co-starred with Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief, and then become a real-life princess?
63) Colin Firth won the best actor award for a role that required him to stammer. Can you name the film?
64) Spike Jonze, winner of last year’s best screenplay award for Her starring Joaquin Phoenix, directed a fantasy comedy about a puppeteer who discovers a portal into the mind of which real-life actor, who also co-starred in the film?
SPEAKING OF WHICH …
65) Name the best actor winner … and the film that won best film in which he spoke only two words that were audible to the audience, right at the end, “With pleasure”?
Name the actor or actress, the role they played, and the film in which this dialogue appears?
66) “I do wish we could chat longer, but... I’m having an old friend for dinner. Bye.”
67) “My momma always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get’.”
68) “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
69) “Here’s looking at you kid.”
70) “You’ve got to pick-a-pocket or two.”
71) “You talkin’ to me?”
72) “All right, Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close-up.”
73) “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”
74) “I know what you you’re thinking. “Did he fire six shots or only five?” Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself."
75) 'Who’s driving this car, Stevie Wonder?"
76) "Locksley. I’ll cut your heart out with a spoon."
77) "I really feel, ehh, in short, to recap it slightly in a clearer version, eh, the words of David Cassidy in fact, eh, while he was still with the Partridge family, eh, 'I think I love you'.”
78) Name the star and the film in which he said this line, “Carpe diem. Seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.”
79) Name both the star and the musical that saw him dance with an umbrella, in which he shared this dialogue?
“Oh Donny! You couldn’t kiss me like that and not mean it just a teensy bit!”
“Meet the greatest actor in the world! I’d rather kiss a tarantula.”
“You don’t mean that.”
“I don’t … Hey Joe, get me a tarantula.”
80) Name the two stars, their roles, and the name of the Oscar-winning film in which they shared this dialogue.
“When I want you, this is what you will hear.” [blows whistle]
“Oh, no, sir. I’m sorry, sir. I could never answer to a whistle. Whistles are for dogs and cats and other animals, but not for children and definitely not for me. It would be too ... humiliating.”
“Fraulein, were you this much trouble at the Abbey?”
“Oh, much more, sir.”
Name the star, his role and the name of the film in which he shared this dialogue
81) “There’s a big snake in the plane, Jock!”
“Oh, that’s just my pet snake Reggie.”
“I hate snakes, Jock! I hate ‘em!”
“Come on! Show a little backbone, will ya!”
82) “You can’t want to get blown up again?”
“Butch, you know that if it were my money, there is nobody that I would rather have steal it than you. But, you see, I am still in the employment of E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad!”
Name the film featuring this line of dialogue
83) “You’re gonna need a bigger boat."
84) “That’s funny, that plane’s dustin’ crops where there ain’t no crops.”
85) “OK, campers, rise and shine, and don’t forget your booties ‘cause it’s cooooold out there today.”
86) “Shut up. Just shut up. You had me at ‘hello’.”
87) “Well, nobody’s perfect.”