Singapore oil spill ‘largely cleaned now’ after ‘good progress’ made at Sentosa’s beaches
- More than 140,000kg of oil-soaked sand has been removed from the Siloso, Palawan and Tanjong beaches

“Good progress” had been made with oil spill clean-up efforts on Sentosa’s beaches, the resort island said on Sunday.
An oil spill occurred on June 14 after a Netherlands-flagged dredger hit a stationary bunker vessel, causing oil from the latter’s damaged cargo tank to spill into the water.
Following the incident, oil washed up along the coast of several beaches in Singapore, including those on Sentosa island and in East Coast Park.
More than 140,000kg of oil-soaked sand has been removed from the Siloso, Palawan and Tanjong beaches since June 15, Sentosa said in a post on Facebook on Sunday afternoon.
The Siloso Beach shoreline is “largely cleaned now”, it added.

In an update on June 20, Singapore’s authorities said that a “large majority” of oil deposits on the beach at East Coast Park had been removed and the beaches at Tanah Merah were largely cleaned up.