-
Advertisement
China

Update | Suspect, 22, killed in China kindergarten blast made bomb at home, report says

Police said to have found handwriting scrawled on wall in man’s home near the school referring to ‘death’ and ‘extermination’

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Investigators work at the scene of the explosion outside a kindergarten in Feng county, Jiangsu province. Photo: Reuters
Alice Yanin ShanghaiandMimi Lauin Hong Kong
Chinese police have identified a 22-year-old male suspect they believe detonated a bomb outside a kindergarten in Jiangsu province on Thursday who was one of eight people killed in the explosion, state broadcaster CCTV reported.

Investigators made the discovery after scouring the scene and surveillance videos as well as DNA analysis, according to the report.

Advertisement

The suspect, identified only by the surname Xu, allegedly made the bomb in his apartment, the report said. He was originally from Quanshan district in nearby Xuzhou city and had dropped out of school after he was diagnosed with a neurological disorder, according to CCTV.

The report said he had been living in a rented apartment near the kindergarten and was working in the area, while police had found handwriting scrawled on a wall in his home referring to “death” and “extermination”.

Advertisement

However, some locals are still questioning why the young man would have attacked the school and how he managed to get the explosives. Bomb attacks are rare on the mainland as explosives are strictly managed.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x