Canto-pop star Andy Lau cancels remaining four Hong Kong shows because of flu
- The 57-year-old interrupted his show in tears on Friday night after an inflamed throat prevented him from singing
- Promoters have advised ticket holders to keep their tickets pending arrangements
The promoter of Andy Lau Tak-wah’s concerts has announced that all four of his remaining shows at the Hong Kong Coliseum will be cancelled as the superstar struggles to recover from flu.
The announcement, which had been eagerly awaited by Lau’s fans and concert ticket holders, said the 57-year-old had been diagnosed with flu on Sunday and needed to take a full rest as advised by his doctor.
The four remaining shows, running from Monday to Thursday, will be cancelled.
On Friday night, soon after his 14th show as part of a 20-concert series in his “My Love Andy Lau World Tour”, Lau, overwhelmed by his throat infection, halted the music in the midway of his fourth song and told the audience that the show had to end.
“The doctor said I shouldn’t sing any more, but I really can’t bear to let go,” the emotional Lau told thousands of people in the audience, while offering a tearful apology.
The following day, the concert promoter Focus Entertainment Limited said the shows on Saturday and Sunday (December 29 and 30) would also be cancelled so that “Mr Lau will be able to continue to perform after some proper rest”.