Tearful China boy distressed about after-school classes reports unlicensed tutor to police, becomes online sensation
- Stressed teen cannot cope with pressure, seeks help from police
- China bans private classes for kindergarten, primary, secondary students

An anguished secondary school student in China who told the police about unlicensed after-school tutoring classes he was forced to attend has sparked a heated debate about the academic pressure the country’s children face.
The mainland authorities banned private tutoring for kindergarten, primary and secondary students on October 15 last year.
The decision followed the controversial “double reduction” policy issued two years ago, which placed strict limitations on homework and the scope of after-school tutoring.
However, parents who fear their children will be left behind in a highly competitive academic environment, now pay “underground” tutors who generally charge higher fees.
Last month, a teenage boy went to a police station in Xiangyang, Hubei province, central China to report an after-school class he was forced to attend by his parents, according to a report by Jiupai News.
He told the officers how he spends his weekends doing homework in the mornings and having tutoring sessions in the afternoons.