- Practise your English with our short listening exercises: play the audio linked below; answer the questions; and check the answers at the bottom of the page
- This week’s podcast features the youngest member of famed boy band One Direction, who recently announced his third solo album.
Click on the video below for the audio (the script has been adapted from Tribune News Service).
Play a Kahoot! game about this podcast as a class or with your friends by clicking on the link here.
Or play on your own below to test your understanding:
1. What does the “pleasing news” mentioned in the beginning of the podcast refer to?
A. a new album
B. a singer turning 28 years old
C. an annual musical festival
D. announcement of a new film
2. Which word can replace “forthcoming”?
3. Which of the following is not featured in the trailer according to the podcast?
A. hot-air balloons
4. What happens at the end of the trailer?
A. Styles drives on a busy road.
B. Styles walks onto a stage.
C. Styles enters a yellow house.
D. Styles holds a bouquet of flowers.
5. Which part of a house was shown on the cover of Styles’ latest album?
C. living room
6. How does something with a “minimalist” style look?
A. simple, with very little design
B. colourful and vibrant
C. unusual, with lots of interesting details
D. all of the above
7. What is Styles’ second album called?
A. “Harry’s House”
B. “Fine Line”
C. “Sign of the Times”
D. “Watermelon Sugar”
8. According to the podcast, why did Malik leave One Direction?
A. He wanted to pursue a career outside of singing.
B. He was invited to join another band.
C. He did not get along with the other band members.
D. information not given
9. When did Styles join a boy band?
10. Which of the following best describes a “hiatus”?
A. a situation in which two parties agree to stop arguing
B. the act of continuing an activity
C. a period of time when something is stopped
D. a celebration of something new
11. How many songs will there be on Styles’ latest album?
12. What does Pleasing sell?
A. clothes and make-up products
B. food and beverages
C. turntables and vinyl records
D. artwork created by celebrities
13. Based on your understanding, which of the following is Styles passionate about?
D. all of the above
14. What film genre does Don’t Worry Darling belong to?
A. parody comedy
B. psychological thriller
C. zombie horror
D. historical romance
15. Which audience is most likely to find this podcast useful?
A. fashion influencers
B. film critics
C. fans of 80s pop music
D. none of the above
Voice 1: Some pleasing news for Harry Styles fans: The English pop star is releasing a new album this spring. The 28-year-old performer announced last month that his third studio album, Harry’s House, will debut on May 20, right after his performance at the annual Coachella music festival.
Voice 2: In a trailer for the forthcoming record, a montage of blooming flowers, busy city streets, hot-air balloons and fireworks culminates in Styles stepping onto a stage decorated with the facade of a giant yellow house. Styles also shared the cover art for the album on his social media accounts, which showed an image of himself standing in the middle of an upside-down minimalist living room.
Voice 1: Harry’s House is Styles’ latest solo effort, following the releases of his Grammy-nominated sophomore record Fine Line and his debut Sign of the Times. The singer previously released several albums as a member of the English-Irish boy band One Direction.
Voice 2: The group was formed in 2010 and consisted of five members: Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Zayn Malik. Malik left the group in 2015 and the boy band went on indefinite hiatus in 2016.
Voice 1: Not much information is available about Styles’ upcoming album – except that it will consist of 13 tracks. The Watermelon Sugar hitmaker’s announcement comes soon after launching his new beauty and apparel brand, Pleasing.
Voice 2: In addition to his music and fashion endeavours, Styles has been busy pursuing a career in acting since making his big-screen debut in 2017’s Dunkirk. He will star in his first lead role, opposite Florence Pugh, in Olivia Wilde’s psychological thriller Don’t Worry Darling, which is set to premiere in September.
Voice 1: But first, Styles, Billie Eilish and Kanye West are set to headline this year’s Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. The live event will mark Styles’ Coachella debut and take place over two weekends, April 15-17 and April 22-24, at the Empire Polo club in Indio, California.