Watch the video and answer questions 1-10
1. Restaurant profile: MaLa Project
It was founded by (i) __________. MaLa Project specialises in a type of Chinese (ii) __________. The owner hopes to change stereotypes of Chinese food in America with its authentic flavors from her (iii) __________.
2. Main ingredients used in zhajiangmian (circle the correct options).
cucumber / noodles / sweet bean sauce / chilli flakes / pork
3. Why might Amelie feel nostalgic whenever she eats zhajiang noodles?
4. What word in the video means “to cook something by keeping it almost at boiling point”?
5. According to Amelie, what two opposing flavours is one likely to find when eating zhajiang noodles?
6. Why did Amelie move to New York?
7. Listen to the middle of the video (1:17-1:56). Why does the interior of Mala Project’s premises remind Amelie of her childhood?
8. What spices are used in the mala dry pot?
9. How has the culinary scene in the United States evolved?______________________________________________
10. Which section of a food blog are you most likely to find this video?